Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 19, 2009

What I learned in nursing school...

When working with children we were taught a very strategic way to get kids to do things they MUST do but didn't want to do. For nurses an example would be getting a child to take their medicine. I specifically remember a time in nursing school clinicals where I didn't use this strategy and had a screaming toddler who wouldn't take her medicine for over an hour! Bad move. I've since used this strategy and it has proven successful over and over (mostly for the toddler age, however older kids will go for this too, they just can't be "tricked" as easily). And I have now discovered this strategy can even work with your own children! :)
I'm sure many of you have learned this strategy naturally. Survival of the fittest. If you don't figure out a way to get your kids to do things they need to do but won't, you just won't make it! Thankfully I had nursing school to teach me. But for those who didn't go through nursing school and haven't figured it out yet, here's the strategy:

It's all about choices. Children want choices, but it's up do YOU to give them realistic choices to choose from. So here is an example of "The Strategy" working successfully with Ellie:

Me: Ellie, it's time to eat your breakfast.
Ellie: No, momma! (playing with toys in other room)
M: Ellie, do you want me to hold you and bring you to the table? Or do you want to go there by yourself?
E: Myself (starts RUNNING to table)
M: Good girl, Ellie! Here's your oatmeal! (Big smile!)

That's it folks! Give them choices surrounding the activity you want them to perform and they are happy to make a decision! :)

1 comment:

SnoWhite said...

I think this works well for adults too ;-)